Re: Gnatsweb configuration

From: Hans-Albert Schneider
Subject: Re: Gnatsweb configuration
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 16:11:03 +0100 (MET)

    RG> Hello, I have a problem configuring gnatsweb. What's the
    RG> relation between

    RG> the user specified when logging into gnatsweb,

There are two possibilities to authenticate for gnatsweb usage:

- Typing in username and password into a HTML form generated by
  gnatsweb.

  These are simply forwarded to gnatsd, so it is a user+password
  specified in the gnatsd.access of the respective database (if
  you have more than one).

- Authentication against the WWW server.  In this case, your
  browser pops up a small window asking for username and password.

  I did not use this one, but I seem to remember that the
  username is passed to gnatsd.  Please see the GNATS and
  gnatsweb documentation for details if you use this variant.

    RG> the submittors

These are names you give to individual persons or groups of
persons who will submit reports, typically customers.  In one of
my databases, this is something like "customerA", "projectB",
"ourOwnDepartment".

You can assign an e-mail address to a submitter that gets a
notification when a report with that submitter-ID is filed
(useful for key account managers or similar).

You may want to also give a username to each submitter, and it
seems reasonable that these two names are identical.

    RG> and the user specified for gnats?

This is used for authentication by gnatsd.

You may also want to have a username for each active responsible
(I am assigning a username to each responsible.  When a
responsible leaves, I remove the corresponding username from
gnatsd.access, but keep the entry in the responsible file for
some time).

    RG> My problem is: I can specify any username when
    RG> logging in and will get full access to all databases.
    RG> Any suggestions, how to fix that?

I have just seen that you already got the answer to this.  Me,
too, I would have pointed to gnatsd.host_access.

Hans-Albert

--
Hans-Albert Schneider           <address@hidden>
Siemens AG                      phone:  (+49) 89 636 45445