Re: Patch for gnatsweb.pl

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: Patch for gnatsweb.pl
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 17:59:53 +0200

At 17:39 25.09.2002 +0200, Lars Henriksen wrote:
I've realised that there is even more to it than I thought at first.

Robert Lupton's patch as well as mine breaks backward compatibility:
bookmarked and stored queries may stop working or behave differently.

According to comments in the gnatsweb code, that is also what has kept
the parameter/field/lower/upper case confusion from being dealt with and
field2param() and param2field() from disappearing. I have spent some
time on figuring out the use of (dbconfig) field names versus form
parameter (lower case) versions. It is not too difficult to eliminate
the parameter/field conversion entirely and use dbconfig names (I have
a patch) but again, not without breaking some existing bookmarked and
stored queries.

Do we want to (must we) keep backward combatibility? With gnatsweb 3.*?
With earlier gnatsweb 4 versions? As far as I can see from some bookmarks
produced by 3.113, compatibility with that version is already broken
(I have seen some "arrivedbefore=" or "modifiedafter=" query parameters
that are not recognised by gnatsweb 4).

While working with the recent "Sort By" patches, I had occasion to look more closely at this. Compatibility with stored Gnatsweb 2 queries is a non-issue I think. There are a few sites I know of that use Gnatsweb 3.99.x in production (Dirk, this probably concerns you), but if we are ever to rid Gnatsweb of this totally unnecessary level of complexity, this is the time.

I think I'll use my Supreme Maintainer Authority to decree that field2param and param2field must die. A first step has been to use the dbconfig field names in the Query Page fields instead of built-in/lowercase names.

Relevant patches are very welcome, since I have somewhat limited time to code right now (With Milan out of the picture I'd also like to keep half an eye on GNATS itself and apply those simple uncontroversial patches that are submitted from time to time)

- Yngve