Manual is version 4 ready!

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Manual is version 4 ready!
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:53:19 +0200

We have just reached a minor milestone in GNATS 4 development: The documentation rewrite is finished!

The only thing holding up the rewrite of the GNATS manual for version 4 was a decision over whether to tidy up the profusion of fields in the standard dbconfig file. Now that this is done, we have a manual which is fully version 4 complete. Yes, there are bound to be mistakes, omissions and version 3-specific stuff that I have missed, but the manual as it is now is of what I would call "release-candidate" quality.

Gone from the standard dbconfig:

Quarter, Keywords, Date-Required from release-based GNATS 3
Cases, which was added early in GNATS 4 development for testing purposes

All these field definitions have been put in the new appendix "dbconfig recipes", and the "Upgrading" section of the manual tells people who have release-based GNATS 3 installations to add the definitions to their dbconfig. None of the removed field definitions illustrated any special functions or were involved in any automation, so they shouldn't be missed too much.

Yngve Svendsen
wearing the "Gnats 4 doc guy" hat