Re: gnats/gnats mkdb.sh

From: Dirk Schenkewitz
Subject: Re: gnats/gnats mkdb.sh
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2002 13:06:01 +0100

Yngve Svendsen schrieb:

> At 15:10 30.05.2002 -0700, Mel Hatzis wrote:
> >Lars Henriksen wrote:
> >>I made the fix after reading the documentation (Keeping Track,
> >>section 4.2) that explicitly excludes your setup:
> >>   For a database that is located across a network, but which should be
> >>   accessible from this host, the entry for the database should look like
> >>   this:
> >>      DATABASE NAME:SHORT DESCRIPTION OF DATABASE::HOSTNAME:PORT
> >>   The first two fields are the same as for local databases, the third
> >>   field is empty (notice the two adjacent `:' symbols, indicating an
> >>   empty field), the fourth field is the hostname of the remote GNATS
> >>   server, and the fifth field is the port number that the remote GNATS is
> >>   running on.
> >>Now, this may be all wrong (and no, I haven't checked the code), but
> >
> >I agree that the 'fix' to mkdb is according to the documentation, but
> >I would encourage you to reconsider the documented behaviour.
> >Supporting two modes is a duplication of effort that gives rise to a
> >number of the 'arch enemies' of good software engineering....inconsistency,
> >ambiguity and unnecessary complexity. And in this case, I hold that
> >it's totally unnecessary.
>
> I agree 100% that we should try to phase out the local mode and have
> everything go through gnatsd. I don't think anyone would consider
> installing a daemon-less GNATS 4 server. I think deprecating local mode
> should be a high priority for 4.1, by adjusting the documentation and
> removing options from the tools.
>
> In the meantime, though, I think the fix Lars made should be OK, since the
> manual (and the recently updated man page) clearly states that the path
> field should be empty for databases that are to be accessed through gnatsd.
> Anyway, I'll close PR384 now, since the patch has been committed.

What about communication per mail only ? Does gnatsd also handle this ?
If not, my opinion is clear: please keep this "local mode", because we
cannot live without communication per mail, since gnatsweb cannot be
used in every case.

        dirk
--
Dirk Schenkewitz

InterFace AG                 fon: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 126
Leipziger Str. 16            fax: +49 (0)89 / 610 49 - 83
D-82008 Unterhaching
http://www.interface-ag.de   mailto:address@hidden