How to create an index file from defect number file for GNATS 4.0 ?

From: Mohamed Niyaz, ASDC Chennai
Subject: How to create an index file from defect number file for GNATS 4.0 ?
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 15:41:19 +0530

Hello:

I am trying to write an export/ import utility for gnats. My strategy is fairly simple. For every defect to be exported, just copy <gnats-install-directory>/com/<category-name>/<defect-id> to the new target. The problem is with index file entries. The following is a typical entry in the index file:

address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@
address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden@^MMohamed address@hidden@address@hidden@address@hidden long synopsis for the sixth defect.....to find out what the numbers in the index file mean^@

My question is how can I create this index entry in the target? I could write a program to copy just that part of the file, but the problem is the number "1082445490". And, also I am sure that wont be the cleanest way. Could somebody please give me some suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Niyaz.