Re: gnatsweb status?

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: gnatsweb status?
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 16:21:52 +0200

Yes, Gnatsweb development has been on ice for quite some time. I spent an extraordinary amount of time on GNATS amd Gnatsweb stuff for a couple of years and simply burnt out at one point.

Anyway, I have started looking at stuff again, while discovering how completely one can forget the syntax after 3 Perl-free years. I have started going through and committing some queued-up patches from Savannah and from the mailing lists. Please send patches, preferably through the Savannah interface; I may not have the kind of free time required right now to start taking Gnatsweb in major new directions, but I should be able to do the core maintainer stuff again.

One thing in particular which I did start thinking about before the long pause is a redesign of the feedback mechanism upon PR creation or edit. Could we get rid of the "display PR submitted page, then refresh/redirect to the page the user was at before" cycle and replace it with a little feedback field as part of the page banner? Basically you would click "Submit", then instead of getting the intermediate page saying "Problem report sent" or "Edit successful" be taken directly to the page you were at when you clicked Create or Edit, with a little field in the banner saying "Problem report number nn successfully submitted" or "Problem report nn successfully edited".

Would anyone be willing to take a look at that?

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer

Jo A Wahle wrote:

Does anyone know the status of gnatsweb development? I've tried contacting the Project Admins on the Savannah site - got a reply from one who said he's not on that project anymore. I have a number of changes to submit, mostly improved configurability plus a few bugfixes; I see a few others have submitted some other changes.

--
Jo Wahle, Software Engineer, Engineering Support, SAIC
(Science Applications International Corporation – www.saic.com)