Re: gnats(web) occasionally submits duplicate PRs

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: gnats(web) occasionally submits duplicate PRs
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:27:53 +0200

Chuck, Jo,

thanks for diagnosing this. The return_url system is complicated and the cause of several instances of mysterious behaviour. The mechanisms for displaying confirmations, with subsequent redirects, should be reengineered at some point, simplifying the return_url stuff at least somewhat.

However, that is scheduled for some undetermined future time, and the short term fix that I have committed simply consists of removing the button bar from the edit and create confirmation pages, as well as error pages. That should do it, while hopefully not impacting usability significantly.

Yngve Svendsen
Gnatsweb maintainer

Chuck Alexander wrote:
Some time ago I filed gnatsweb PR 507 describing at least one mechanism by which this can happen. Maybe this is what you're seeing?

1. File a PR the normal way and submit it. A confirmation page is shown.

   2. On this confirmation page, click the "Create" link at the top of
   the page. On the new Create page, look at the page source... note
   the return_url defines the PR filed in step 1.

   3. Fill out the second Create form and submit it. A confirmation
   page is shown, which after the refresh period submits the
   "return_url", effectively refiling the first PR and displaying a new
   confirmation page.

- Chuck

Jo A Wahle wrote:

My users have reported at least three cases where a PR was submitted twice. I've captured details about two cases - in one case, the duplicate's Arrival-Date is more than 5 minutes after the original, and in one case the duplicate's Arrival-Date is one second later. We're using gnats 4.1 and gnatsweb 4.00 plus some local enhancements. The users are certain they did not submit the same information twice, and they didn't use the Back button and submit the same data again. Each case involved different users and different categories. I don't know whether to blame gnatsweb or gnats, and I'm not sure how to start to investigate this, since I can't re-create the problem. Any ideas?

--
Jo Wahle, Software Engineer, Engineering Support, SAIC
(Science Applications International Corporation – www.saic.com)