Re: book recommendations?

From: Peter S Galbraith
Subject: Re: book recommendations?
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:50:17 -0400

Blair Goodlin wrote:

> I'm just starting to learn Emacs, and was thinking
> about getting myself a book.  I was thinking about
> getting O'Reilly's _Learning GNU Emacs_, but it only
> covers through version 19.30.  Is there that much
> difference between 19.30 and the latest release that
> it would be a bad idea to learn from this book?

I'd say so.
>                                                  Can
> anyone recommend another (better) book?

Buy one from the FSF.

http://www.fsf.org/doc/doc.html

 The GNU Emacs Manual (14th Edition for Version 20.7) describes
 editing with GNU Emacs. It explains advanced features, including
 outline mode and regular expression search; how to use special
 programming modes to write languages like C++ and TeX; how to
 use the tags utility; how to compile and correct code; how to
 make your own keybindings; and other elementary customizations.

 See http://www.fsf.org/order/order.html

Peter