Problems with backup-by-copying and auto-compression-mode

From: arthur.chereau
Subject: Problems with backup-by-copying and auto-compression-mode
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 00:18:41 +0200

Hi,

I have just compiled emacs 21.2 with
--with-x --with-x-toolkit=motif --with-xpm --with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-gif
--with-png --without-pop

When I insert

(setq backup-by-copying t)

(require 'jka-compr)
(auto-compression-mode 1)

in my .emacs, the backup is still done by moving (inode, permissions, etc
change) and there is no automatic decompression when I open a gzipped file.

I read the NEWS file and many .emacs on the net but couldn't find anything
interesting.

Is it the right way of enabling backup by copying and auto compression under
emacs 21 ? Did I missed something ?

Thanks,

A. Chereau

Avec Voila Mail, consultez vos e-mails sur votre mobile Wap.