Re: standard popup menu

From: Bruce Ingalls
Subject: Re: standard popup menu
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 00:20:34 GMT

Jason Rumney wrote:
Bruce Ingalls <bingalls@SpAmBlOcK.fit-zones.com> writes:

Thanks. I hadn't thought of it that way.
I was rather thinking of putting "undo" in the menu, and
display whatever is bound to it.

If you put undo in the menu, what is displayed now? Is it different
than what you want in some way?

What is displayed now, is
        Undo    C-_
you click on it, and it does an undo.

As long as you have Emacs on a gui system, you can grab the code from
It's small, easy and safe.

This code sounds fine, but here are some issues:
1) I used spaces between "Undo" and "C-_". Makes alignment of "C-_" not
so good.
2) The menu is hard coded. Here's where this can be a problem:

User binds C-z to undo
User binds C-_ to underline text
User saves the above into .emacs, and gives it to User2.

User2 uses menu to undo an error, which works nicely.
User2 notices keyboard shortcut for undo is C-_, as menu claims
User2 tries keyboard shortcut, but it "doesn't work", it just underlines text!
Support calls roll in.