Difference between 'C-x e' and 'M-x macro'

From: Marco Carbone
Subject: Difference between 'C-x e' and 'M-x macro'
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:48:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hello all,

This is kind of an odd question but let me explain:

Let's say I have defined a macro whose only event is the function 'up.'
Then I name the macro 'upmacro' using 'M-x name-last-kbd-macro.'  Now take
the following bit of code:

  double toss;
  int t = 1;
  int flag = 1;X

where X indicates the location of the point.  Then I perform 'C-x e'
twice.  The point will move as follows:

  double toss;
  int t = 1;X
  int flag = 1;

  double toss;X
  int t = 1;
  int flag = 1;

So far, so good.  But now let's go back to the original situation:

  double toss;
  int t = 1;
  int flag = 1;X

and this time use 'M-x upmacro' twice instead.  Now the point moves
differently:

  double toss;
  int t = 1;X
  int flag = 1;

  double tosX;
  int t = 1;
  int flag = 1;

My question is: why?  What's the difference between 'C-x e' and 'M-x
upmacro?'  Believe it or not, this difference effects an elisp program I'm
currently working on.  Thanks,

Marco