Re: ssh in emacs shell in OS X

From: Joseph Kiniry
Subject: Re: ssh in emacs shell in OS X
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:51:26 +0200

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> dfphil@yahoo.com (david) writes:
>
>> After some Googling, I tried to get ssh working from an emacs shell.
>> This also fails.  After typing M-x shell and receiving a bash shell, I
>> type:
>>         bash-2.05b$ ssh me@host
>> and emacs replies with
>>         Pseudo-terminal will not be allocated because stdin is not a
>> terminal
>>         ssh_askpass: exec(/sw/lib/ssh-askpass): No such file or
>> directory
>>         Write failed: Broken pipe
>> I get a corresponding error when I use the OS X default ssh. It looks
>> for askpass in a different directory and doesn't find it there,
>> either.
>
> Ah, the infamous process-connection-type problem.  Under OS X,
> process-connection-type is set to nil, but then Tramp doesn't work.
> I think that some people have tried setting it to t, and at least
> their computer didn't blow up.  But I don't know what other bad side
> effects this setting had.
>
> Another possibility might be to use the sshx method.  It invokes "ssh
> -t -t".  The double "-t" argument is an undocumented ssh-on-Windows
> (mis?)feature to force it to alloc a pty.  Maybe it also works on OS X?

I have successfully gotten Tramp to work with a fink-built FSF Emacs
under OS X by using a process-connection-type of nil and a Tramp
connection method of sshx.  It was not necessary modify the stock
definition of sshx.

I use SSH Agent (http://www.phil.uu.nl/~xges/ssh/) to handle ssh proxy
authentication so that ssh-askpass/ssh-add is never in the loop.

Joe
--
Joseph R. Kiniry                    ID 78860581      ICQ 4344804
SOS Group, University of Nijmegen  http://www.cs.kun.nl/~kiniry/