Re: German keyboard key bindings?

From: Kai Grossjohann
Subject: Re: German keyboard key bindings?
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:57:00 +0000

Reiner Steib <4.uce.03.r.s@nurfuerspam.de> writes:

> But you can map any key as a compose key using xmodmap, e.g. the
> "menu" key or the (right or left) "windows" keys (Super_R, Super_L).
> `Compose " a' gives `ä' and so on.  So you have exactly the same as
> you described for AllChars or am I missing something?

The differences between AllChars and the compose key:

* The compose key and the ctrl key must be different keys.  With
  AllChars, the same key (the ctrl key) is doing double duty.  I have
  lots of ctrl keys on my keyboard, so it is easy to hit them ;-)

* The compose key has a predefined number of combos, such that I must
  always use " a or a " to get ä.  But AllChars is configurable, so
  that I can configure any two-character combination instead of " a
  and a ".  (I configured ctrl a a to produce ä, which is easier to
  type than ctrl a " or ctrl " a.)

Kai