Indenting Strings (How to?)

From: Dan Anderson
Subject: Indenting Strings (How to?)
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 15:32:31 GMT

        A lot of times when I'm coding I'll have a very long string or
comments which is some other kind  of code (i.e.  HTML or CSS embedded
in a  Perl CGI script) or  is text.  Many  times I'll try to  keep the
indentation neat, but  pressing tab in a string  (or comments) doesn't
do anything (in CPerl mode, PHP  mode, or any other mode).  This means
that I end up having to space over manually (a royal PITA).

        Is there a good way to tell emacs to either treat all comments
and  strings as  normal  text (i.e  so  I can  get  basic tabbing  and
justification), or (even better), to set rules concerning how to treat
comments and strings.

Thanks in advance,

Dan