Re: Running emacs as root

From: gebser
Subject: Re: Running emacs as root
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:11:39 -0500 (EST)

If you're running Unix/Linux you first need to make it okay for others
(even root) to use your X.  So do "xhost +127.0.0.1" (without the
quotes).  You'll need to do that only the first time.  Then do

su - -c "export DISPLAY=0:0;emacs"

The first dash says 'use root's environment'.  The '-c ...' specifies
the command to run; in the double quotes is actually two commands
(separated by the semi-colon), but Unix/Linux doesn't care.

You could also alias this whole command to something easier to remember
if you want.

hth,
ken