RE: how to not show images?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: how to not show images?
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:59:45 -0700

    > Is there some way to _not_ show the images in a buffer or in all
    > displayed buffers - that is, not to remove them, but to simply not
    > display them (perhaps temporarily)?

    If ther is no nice way to do this, maybe you could write a hack that
    mess with the text properties at the places where an image is
    displayed:

      display              (image :type jpeg :file "~/my-image.jpg"
    :relief 2 :margin 2)
      fontified            t
      rear-nonsticky       (display)

Right. My question is whether there is some existing way to turn on/off
displaying of (all) images in Emacs - such as you can do in most Web
browsers.