Re: antialiased fonts

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: antialiased fonts
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 11:49:46 -0400

>> Has anyone ever seen antialiased font with Emacs?
> Me. Many times.
> First I use TrueType fonts. They get rendered and anti-aliased by the
> X server.

No, the X server does not magically anti-alias TrueType fonts.
If you've seen Emacs anti-aliased on X11, I can only think of the
following reason:
- you ran Emacs inside an anti-aliased text-terminal-emulator.
- you tried one of the patches that add support for xft, none of which is
  in any kind of stable state, AFAIK (tho I haven't tried to xft branch in
  the CVS repository recently).

        Stefan