Re: How do you normally type text in emacs?

From: Steven Woody
Subject: Re: How do you normally type text in emacs?
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 00:09:39 +0800

Neon Absentius <absent@sdf.lonestar.org> writes:

> On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 04:31:45PM +0400, rincewind wrote:
>> How do you normally type plain English text in emacs?
>
> I normally use a keyboard :).
>
>> It appears that emacs either doesn't break lines at all (i.e., it
>> just wraps a line if it exceeds the screen width, disregarding
>> word boundaries), or inserts newlines when you run 'fill' command!
>> Or Fundamental is not a proper mode for exiting text (which mode I
>> need, then)?
>
> The proper mode for editing text is text-mode.
> If you give the extension ".txt" to your files
> then emacs automatically turns on the text mode.
>

>> How can I make emacs automatically format paragraphs visually,
>> without breaking words and without inserting newlines?
>
> The "fill" functions do not break words but they
> do insert newlines. I think that what you looking
> for ("soft" breaks) is accomplished by the package

i can only see two possibilities, wrap the text or 'newline' it. is the "soft
break" the 3rd one? what is it?

> "longlines.el". Have a look
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/longlines.el
>
> hth
>
> --
> Charity in capitalism is like urinating to extinguish a forest fire.
>     -- Neon Absentius
> absent a.in.cirle sdf period lonestar period org

steven woody (id: narke)

Angelica Bell: What happens to us when we die?
Virginia Woolf: ... We return to the place we came from.
Angelica Bell: I don't remember where I came from.
Virginia Woolf: Neither do I.

        - The Hours (2002)