Re: how much memory?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: how much memory?
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 16:11:46 +0200

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:
> Sorry about the potential lack of specificity of this question,
> but how much memory should I assume Emacs has available to it?

Sur linux, type: C-u M-! free RET

For example, on my computer, I can asume that emacs has 826164 KB
available for it (if no other program takes it before).

Mem:       1031584    1018268      13316          0      62420     573300
-/+ buffers/cache:     382548     649036
Swap:      1004020     178856     825164 <--- maximum memory size available.

> If I'm reading files into buffers or storing them as strings or
> something like this, how many characters can I store before I should
> expect a crash or other weird behavior.

This is something else.  The size of buffer is limited by the
amplitudes of fixnums.  It depends on the version of emacs and the
compilation obptions (32-bit, 64-bit, etc).

See this variable: most-positive-fixnum
On my emacs "22.0.50.1", it's 268435455 = 256 MB
(IIRC on the 21.3 I used it was 128 MB).

Emacs doesn't crash!  It contains very little C, so there's very
little reason to have it crash.  When the buffer becomes full to do
something, it tells you so and that's all.

> I've seen the "Memory Usage" node in the elisp manual, but can you
> give suggestions on how to extrapolate from there to answer the above
> question?

I don't think these statistics are relevant to your question.