Re: M-x shell not working

From: Sunil Yeddu
Subject: Re: M-x shell not working
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 04:56:32 -0700

Hi,
       There was a 'stty sane' line in my .cshrc which is causing the Invalid argument message. I removed it and that erorr message has gone away. Thanks, Pete.
    I also noticed that setting TERM env to any value is causing shell to exit. I removed the line which sets TERM env from my cshrc and I was able to access shell !!! But the warning message is still there.

 Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
 Thus no job control in this shell.

      And setting TERM env in it is causing the shell to exit immediately. I guess this is because of tty not being allocated. From the shell in emacs when I type tty, I see...
$ tty
not a tty

      So there is no solution to the original problem yet, as removing the line which sets TERM env cannot be a permanent solution.

Sunil

On 10/18/05, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

Am 18.10.2005 um 08:34 schrieb Sunil Yeddu:

> Warning: no access to tty (Bad file descriptor).
> Thus no job control in this shell.
> stty: standard input: Invalid argument                <<<<<<<<<<<
> exit
>
> Process shell finished

This is very familiar for me on Mac OS X. Here it's found that using
ttys is not reliable. (setq process-connection-type t) in .emacs
'corrects' this.

Your problem is that some shell rc file writes something into /dev/tty
or such without first checking whether it's allowed or useful. So check
the code in your shell's rc file(s), for example make the shell
verbosely list what it's doing during its initialisation while working
on the rc file(s)!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"One cannot live by television, video games, top ten CDs, and dumb
movies alone"
       (Amiri Baraka 1999)