auto-newline before opening brace following "if","else" and "for"

From: ozark
Subject: auto-newline before opening brace following "if","else" and "for"
Date: 18 Oct 2005 23:19:12 -0700

I'm using C++-mode, with auto-newline turned on ("C++/ah Abbrev", it
shows).
c-set-style is set to gnu.
A newline is automatically inserted before and after an opening brace
if it follows a function name. However, when the brace is after an "if"
or an "else" or a "for", it places the brace on the same line and only
inserts a newline after it, i.e, it doesn't insert the newline before
the brace.

Is this default behaviour? How do I change it?