Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Icon designer wanted (Aquamacs Emacs)
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 01:31:01 +0100

Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> writes:

> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> writes:
>
>> Tim McNamara wrote:
>>
>>>After all, the existing Emacs icons are pretty damned dated and
>>>sorely in need of a facelift.
>>>

>> But there is a decision on new icons. Pleas look at
>> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsIcons
>
> Many of those are very nice, and I like the final choice.  However, I
> believe that the OP was looking for upgrades for the toolbar icons,
> which are a bit behind the times in terms of sophistication and not
> all that intuitive in some cases.

It is hard to see why it would be desirable to fix this only for
MacOSX, a proprietary system, and then only for a single particular
port of it.

The people shouting "you should be glad that people make improvements
to free software" make as much sense as people who think democracy is
somehow served by people exercising their freedom to vote by voting
for parties seeking to abolish democracy.

That is confusing cart and horse: it is the essence of freedom that
you _can_ choose even non-freedom.  But if too many actually do so,
the freedom is lost.

The GNU project stands up for your right to create your own forks of
software if you so desire.  But that does not mean that exercising
that right is automatically a good thing.