Re: installation of emacs on Windows

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: installation of emacs on Windows
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 06:29:18 GMT

"thickface" <kimfinale@gmail.com> wrote in message
1137281196.256453.102730@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com">news:1137281196.256453.102730@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> hi all,
> i just downloaded two files, emacs-21.4a.tar and emacs-21.4a.tar.gz.
> now i am trying to figure out how to install them.  right now, i have
> no idea.  i even don't know what 'tar' and gz mean.
> can anyone help me out??  thanks.

You might have a source tarball for Linux and a gzipped tarball. If you
want to run a pre-compiled package under windows I would suggest that you
fall back to 21.3. I think that newer versions than that for Doze are all
CVS (  beta versions).

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

and if you want foreign language support:

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-leim.tar.gz

The djtarnt.exe (downloadable at):

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/windows/utilities/i386/

works more reliably than Winzip. Go to a Dos window so you can see what's
going on (start:run:command). Copy the djtarnt.exe and the the tar.gz file
(or both tar.gz's) from wherever you downloaded them to, into any empty
directory (e.g. \emacs) and run djtarnt -x emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
and  then the other one. Finally type runemacs (or make a shortcut on the
desktop with a start directory specified where you want to keep your edit
files. You can also run addpm if you want emacs specific info written into
Windows' registry. It's not necessary.

Ed.