shell <tab> Completions

From: Gary Wessle
Subject: shell <tab> Completions
Date: 15 May 2006 03:48:00 +1000

Hi

M-x shell cd <tab> shows the Completions buffer which takes one of the
windows where there might be some other buffer open. is there a way to
show the completions the way shell ls <tab> shows it, right above the
shell prompt? so that I don't have to go to the Completions and kill
it or whatever in-order to show what was in that window before I hit
<tab>

thanks