Re: How to delete item from menu bar

From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Re: How to delete item from menu bar
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 22:34:26 -0000

On 2006-05-25, J. David Boyd <david@adboyd.com> wrote:
> Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:
>
> Doing C-h f easy-menu-remove shows:
>
> easy-menu-remove-item is a compiled Lisp function in `easymenu.el'.
> (easy-menu-remove-item map path name)

 Hi:

 I've looked that up already. But no examples are shown.
 So... from a menu with the name "Scheme", I wish to remove the item
 with the name "Compile Scheme File".
 Here's what I've tried:
 (easy-menu-remove-item scheme-mode-map
   '("Scheme") "Compile Scheme File")

 the evaluation returns nil, but the item remains.
 Other failed attempts indicate that emacs expects a series for
 'path.

 It occurs to me that much of emacs documentation should provide more
 information about the datatypes required.

 If I evaluate C-h v scheme-mode-map<RET>
 I see something like this:
 (menu-bar keymap
                   (scheme "Scheme" keymap
                                        ;; .... deleted
                                   (compile-file "Compile Scheme File"
                                                                 (nil)
                                                                 .
scheme-compile-file)
                                        ;; ... deleted
                                   "Scheme"))
 The clue must be in there somewhere! :-)

>>From submenu of map with path path remove item name.
> map and path are defined as in `easy-menu-add-item'.
> name should be a string, the name of the element to be removed.

   I've looked at scheme.el and I can't locate the definition.
   Not even sure if easy-menu-* procedures are used
   (grep doesn't find easy-menu in any file that seems to be
    related or 'require'd to scheme)
Thanks
tim

--