Re: change working directory in emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: change working directory in emacs
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 00:41:10 +0300

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:27:26 +0200
> Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> Am 30.06.2006 um 20:20 schrieb danielx:
> > When you find file in emacs, how does it it decide which directory
> > you will
> > begin finding? Usually, it's the directory where you started emacs,
>
> No! Not in Mac OS X, a FreeBSD based UNIX. Here it's either the
> current working directory of the shell in *shell* (and probably also
> *terminal*) buffer, the directory in the which the file resides from
> which you invoked find-grep, or it's the HOME directory for buffers
> like *scratch* or *calendar* ...

Really?  I seriously doubt that: on GNU/Linux, *scratch*'s default
directory is the directory where you started Emacs.  And the same goes
for *calendar*.  (Of course, if you start it in your home directory,
then this is the same as HOME.)

Basically, I believe the Windows and Unix versions of Emacs behave the
same in this regard.