Python indent region

From: Shug Boabby
Subject: Python indent region
Date: 10 Jul 2006 03:49:11 -0700

Hello all,

As you may know, python recognises blocks of code by their indentation
level. Emacs handles this very well when writing code. However, Emacs
does not handle indenting/unindenting whole regions very well.

I was wondering if somebody could please write me some lisp code that
would add 4 spaces (or the user defined indent character) to the
beginning of each line in a region, and a complementary function to
reduce each line in a region by one indentation level. These would
really help out when doing some code restructuring in Python.

Thanks,
Shug