how to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?

From: David Combs
Subject: how to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?
Date: 3 Aug 2006 00:16:48 -0400

How to make *shell* auto scroll-down after output?

Used to be, whenever I gave a shell command (via *shell*) that
output stuff, eg "ls", "cat", etc, the window would automatically
readjust itself (via scrolling) so I could see even the final
line output -- and also the next shell prompt.

No longer happens.  On output, the window just stays there,
with the output flooding down *outside* (and below) the
window, with my shell *command* of course still being visible.

What to execute to make it work as before?

(no, I don't really want to take it down and restart --  not yet,
anyway.)

Anything to put into my .emacs?

Thanks!

David