Re: Are there an elisp package manager like apt-get or cpan?

From: ken
Subject: Re: Are there an elisp package manager like apt-get or cpan?
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 09:10:01 -0400

Þorne wrote:
> chylli wrote:
>> Hi. Are there an emacs lisp package manager like apt-get in debian or
>> cpan in perl ? When I want to install a package, I just run a command,
>> then emacs will find proper package in proper web site and install
>> it.
>
> Funny, i was just thinking of writing one the other day.  I got to
> thinking that it would really be trivial to write something using
> ange-ftp or tramp or whatever.  Something like asdf-install for Emacs.

I'll give a pitch for RPM.  There's been many a time when I've wanted to
upgrade emacs or elisp, but know that if I do, forever after I'll no
longer be able to use RPM for upgrades and I'll have to always upgrade
emacs and elisp manually.  So forget about enterprise environments.

Standards aren't much use if there's a bazillion of them and they're all
incompatible with one another.  So why bother with an app that will see
limited use and, more than likely, will be replaced in a few years by
something far more practical?

My $0.02.