Re: Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Pasting into emacs..with certain characters..
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 22:45:09 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Please provide the specific details: on what OS you run the ssh
> client, which ssh client is that, and what version of Emacs runs on
> the GNU/Linux system to which you login via ssh.

Also, what program are you pasting the quotes and dashes from?

My initial suspicion is that these are not normal quotes and dashes,
but characters from the win-1252 codepage that are in the code point
range 128-159 (decimal), and your ssh client is assuming input in
iso-8859-1 where that code range is reserved for control characters
with the high bit set, so it strips the high bit and passes a control
character through to Emacs.