Re: current directory

From: Fang lun gang
Subject: Re: current directory
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 00:01:28 +0800

    >> The current directory is different for each buffer.  If you want the
    >> script to do the right thing for the file /a/b/c/file, start the script
    >> from the buffer which visits that file, not from the buffer that visits
    >> /g/d/f/file1.

Eli, thank you, I figured this much. So, if I want to look up a variable which
is in /a/b/c/file, but the ID file is in the /g/d/f tree - I am screwed.

    >>> I think this is one of the examples when emacs is overdoing its stuff -
    >>> it should have no business changing user's current directory or at least
    >>> allow to configure this behavior.
    >>
    >> You are wrong: Emacs does _exactly_ what the user expects: all operations
    >> from a buffer that visits a file assume the default directory is the
    >> directory of that file.  This is not a global value, each buffer has its
    >> own setting of the default directory.

Well, what makes you think that you can speak for all users? Am I not a user?
I sure don't expect an editor to do it, no other editor I came across in almost
20 years suffers from this malaise. If someone thinks this behavior is a
benefit - at the very least leave the backdoor open to those ho doesn't.

    help-gnu-emacs> cheers, /vb