Re: Indentation.

From: Malte Spiess
Subject: Re: Indentation.
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 20:01:29 +0200

Markus Triska <triska@gmx.at> writes:

> zombek@gmail.com writes:
>
>> 1) 4 space indentation (no mather which language) and it shouldn't care
>> about the syntax - when I say indent then indent
>
> Add this to the modes in which you want 4 spaces when you press TAB:
>
> (local-set-key "\t" (lambda () (interactive) (insert "    ")))

I have to say that I don't think that this is a very good idea since
every other function that has to do with indentation will ruin your
setup. (indent-region,...)

You should stick to what Sam has recommended and maybe think your intend
over.

I guess that there are some modes in which an indentation of 4 is really
not a good idea, like LaTeX mode or html stuff (ymmv). Plus I don't
think that this is a easy to accomplish feature. I would recommend a
more precise setup for each mode. The modes for c-like-languages can be
changed all in one step.

>> 2)when I press RETURN when beeing on some indentation level i should
>> automatically go to the same indentation level in the new line without
>> the need to press TAB
>
> (global-set-key "\C-m" 'newline-and-indent)

This can be a good idea anyway. But keep in mind that C-j already does this.

Greetings

Malte