Re: Newbie questions

From: Michaël Cadilhac
Subject: Re: Newbie questions
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 18:38:36 +0100

> Am 24.12.2006 um 17:00 schrieb ocelot1970@gmail.com:
>
>> 1) Is there a way to see what a keyboard shortcut is currently bound
>> to? Before I write my own programs making my own, I want to make sure
>> I'm not unbinding something really important.
>
> C-h b

Or, for a specific keyboard shortcut, C-h k.

>> 2) Is there a way to see a list of all functions that can possible be
>> bound to keymappings, the list of files they appear in, and their
>> descriptions?
>
> Approximately C-h a TAB
>
> Many functions of that list are not interactive, so they might fail to
> function.

I would have advised M-x TAB, then C-h f <function-name> RET. (Note
that the filename is an hyperlink)

>> 3) Are there any key combos with meta and ctrl that are not allowed
>> when creating my own key bindings? Any reason why I wouldn't use C-q,
>> C-w, C-e, etc. just go through the keyboard and use what's not used
>> yet?

Remember that « The prefix key `C-c' normally contains mode-specific
commands » if you plan to write a major mode.

--
/!\ My mail address has changed, please update your files accordingly.
 |      Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac     |  Isn't vi that text editor with        |