Re: Root Session - from Shell command

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Root Session - from Shell command
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:42:50 +1000

david@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>> Am 05.07.2007 um 16:08 schrieb flebber:
>>
>>> So maybe I need to edit my bash profile to allow emacs access to the
>>> shell ???
>>
>> No, you can't login in *shell* buffer, and neither in *terminal*
>> buffer. The proper way from inside GNU Emacs would be to use tramp:
>>
>>      C-x C-f /sudo::/boot/grub/grub.conf RET
>>
>> --
>> Greetings
>>
>>   Pete
>>

> But you should be able to 'su'.  I do that all the time in Mandriva.
>
> Dave

Depending on your X setup, you can have issues if you open a term, su to root
and then try to run emacs as emacs will try to run the X version. This can fail
if you don't have the appropriate xauth cookies (which control access to the X
display).

The simplest way to get around this is to run emacs with the -nw switch so that
it will run within the term rather than trying to run as an X client.

Of course, far simpler is just to use tramp.

Some setups hide this stuff and manage the .Xauthority cookies in a way that
makes all this 'invisible' to the end user. Some people even suggest using the
xhost command to grant access to your X display, but this is insecure,
especially if running on a multi-user system.

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au