Re: Linux newbe

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Linux newbe
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:52:41 +1000

"Charles Goodrich" <charles.goodrich@gmail.com> writes:

> I have used emacs running under windows for years but have found a couple of
> behaviors under Linux (ubuntu) that I am unable to understand or change.
> First,  I am used to black letters on a white background, but the Linux
> version shows white letters on black background and there seems to be no way
> to change it.  (I tried help (info pages) on reverse video or inverse video)
> used all manner of setq's - nothing changes.
> Second,  the clipboard.  Under windows I could transfer text from the kill
> ring to another program - say Firefox.  But with Linux, I can set the mark and
> point meta-w all i want and nothing shows up that can be "pasted" to Firefox.
> Can anyone help??
> -Charlie Goodrich.

The colours of text can be changed either in your .emacs via customize or via
an entry in .Xresources (this is likely wehre ubuntu sets it). Have a look at
the Xresources section of the emacs manual.

Under X windows, pasting is achieved with the middle mouse button. So, in
emacs, select the region and copy as normal and then move to firefox and put
the cursor where you want to paste and hit the middle mouse button.

Note that if your doing this copy and paste to put URLs into the address box,
there is a much easier way. Use browse-url - usinig this package, when yo click
on a url in emacs, it will open the page in firefox (or whatever browser you
prefer.)

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au