Re: maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: maximum buffer size exceeded
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 23:22:10 +0300

> From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
> Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 15:13:45 +0300
>
> Are there plans to make the buffer size use one of the types with "at
> least X bits", like uint32_t or uint64_t?

If there are such plans, I'm not aware of them.

> Do you think there is a good reason *not* to do this (i.e. an absurd
> performance penalty on some of the supported platforms)?

Performance is one reason; less than universal support for those C9x
features is another.

I think the current view in Emacs development is that 64-bit platforms
solve this problem so easily that its solution for 32-bit machines is
much less important than working on other Emacs features.