Re: INSTALL file. Comments.

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: INSTALL file. Comments.
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 00:59:18 +0200

Am 09.09.2007 um 16:29 schrieb Dave Pawson:

<URL:http://openlab.ring.gr.jp/efont/> (packaged in Debian).
Ditto, no mention of a debian package.

There are volunteers on the net that provide lists of packages of this or that format for this or that flavour or version of some Linux distribution. Do you have an idea how many GNU Emacs packages of only one GNU Emacs version might exist?

This is certainly a task for the user of a particular operating system. There might be an users group that might provide package information for some particular flavour of some version of an OS.

General comment re fonts: No intimation of how emacs finds fonts,
nor how they should be installed, either within the emacs code
or how they are accessed from the system font locations.

X11. Unless otherwise stated (MS Windows variants, Mac OS variants, GEM, AmigaOS ... "Unicode Emacs").

If you don't want X support, specify `--with-x=no'.  If you omit this
option, `configure' will try to figure out for itself whether your
system has X, and arrange to use it if present.

Not strictly true? X is only used if the dev libraries are present?
My (as built) system had X, but no dev libraries.

There are no dev libraries, at least I haven't found any, except when built for a special purpose (profiled, with extended debug content, for static linkage). Libraries are mostly shared libraries that are loaded once into memory and then used by a handful of programmes or applications at the same or at a different time.

X11 is probably the most widely used windowing system. It is something native to GNU Emacs, like Emacs Lisp.

quote.
To get more attractive menus, you can specify an X toolkit when you
configure Emacs; use the option `--with-x-toolkit=TOOLKIT',

Is that the whole story? Isn't it for more than 'attractive menus'?
I.e. since there is no default (mentioned in INSTALL) am I right
in thinking I'll build the nox version without this option?

There aren't so many other differences visible. Now that you know how to get and install necessary packages and how to configure and compile GNU Emacs you can create variants based on GTK, OSF/Motif (Lesstif), without Xaw3d, or using OpenLook (from Sun) ...

Says, Use --without-sound to disable sound support.
No mention of the --with-sound=yes option that was mentioned
by a couple of people?

./configure --help gives a helpful general hint that --with- something=no can mean the same as --without-something. A look inside the configure script, or running it as in 'sh -x ./configure ...' can give some insight.

quote.
If the description of the system configuration printed by `configure'
is not right, or if it claims some of the features or libraries are not
available when you know they are, look at the `config.log' file for
the trace of the failed tests performed by `configure' to check
whether these features are supported.

This doesn't cover the case where the libraries are missing?

It does.

Perhaps a note to indicate, for instance, what to look for
when configure failed to find a library?

This is exactly indicated by configure's use of a set of two letters: 'no.'

Or even a simple statement, that, for instance 'nox will be built, since no X headers found' or some such?

That's as clear as in 'when the sun is not found shining, it's not bright outside.' Then it's night (mostly). A natural state. (The other case is a natural state, too.)

quote.
3b) To build in a separate directory, go to that directory
and run the program `configure' as follows:

    SOURCE-DIR/configure CONFIGURATION-NAME [--OPTION[=VALUE]] ...

I'm not clear what is happening here. It *seems* to generate enough
files to run make in the 'current' directory? I can run make from
there quite happily?

Cd into the mac directory and see the script make-package. In case you can create a virtual Darwin guest inside your Ubuntu (or Fedora Core) PC you can start to compile another variant of GNU Emacs to see that ...

Does this mean that having built it, I can delete SOURCE-DIR completely?

... it is needed. The compiler reads the C source files from the original directory and only puts its output into the new side directory. (Carbon Emacs for Mac OS X won't be compiled because the free Darwin OS does not contain the proprietary Carbon API. Darwin uses X11 as windowing system.)

Would be useful if I've done a make install?

Yes, of course. Therefore most UNIX distributions offer to use packages. This even saves you from removing a whole tree of software.

quote.
7) Run `make' in the top directory of the Emacs distribution
This isn't true if I've run configure from another directory?
Suggest  "Run 'make' from the directory in which you ran 'configure'"

Somehow 'going to school' also includes visiting a college – at least in the U.S.A.

Nice to have feature:
Re MAKE VARIABLES
It would be nice to see guidance for users putting 'another' emacs
on their system, perhaps to say how all the variables can be
set such that the new values point to some non-standard location
and it's subdirectories therefrom?

It is expected that those who try to experiment with configure options have some experience and enough phantasy to imagine the consequences of their deeds.

It would make more sense to describe how to create a (local) package from the compiled software. This is a more sensible use of a packages oriented OS (I did so in Solaris and Fedora Core 1). This way the package management can be kept from removing or updating some shared library some application uses. It can also make compilation easier (in Mac OS X I have a few versions of libfreetype; packages that depend on a particular version of libfreetype have the proper paths set automatically; non-packaged software like xdvipdfmx or xetex are not so easy to satisfy and to compile).

--
Greetings

  Pete

"America believes in education: the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week." – Evan
Esar