Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: Gnus and outgoing Mail
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 15:16:15 +0100

Hi Thierry

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, if you write
>
>  (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
>   '(("mail.gmx.net" 25 "***" "***")))
>
> that mean you want to use starttls and you need to set
> mail and password instead of "***" "***" and "mail.gmx.net"
> must be the adress of an smtp server.

Yes, gmx requires authentication, but, according to their
documentation, doesn't require (isn't able to understand) a secure
transmission of the login-data. I was thinking this is what is called
TLS. Gmx doesn't -- of course, grrr -- have a configuration
instruction for Gnus on its homepage. In the documentation for
Thunderbird, they say "Use Secure Transmission (TSL/SSL)" must _not_
be enabled. Anyway, username and password have to be transmitted.

That the "***"'s have to be username and password is clear. I only
masked them for the posting. mail.gmx.net is the SMTP-Server.

> And are you sure your friend have some MTA installed
> (i use nbsmtp)

We both have exim4 as the system's MTA. His is not configured. Mine is
configured for my usual smtp server which is different from gmx (I use
the one provided by my internet provider). But does Gnus really make
use of exim4? I was thinking it comes with its own MTA. How else can
it be explained that I could just edit my .gnus.el for using the
SMTP-server of gmx yesterday -- which was working -- without changing
my exim4 configuration?

Thanks for your help

Sven