Re: managing multiple dir files

From: Tyler Smith
Subject: Re: managing multiple dir files
Date: 13 Mar 2008 12:24:25 GMT

On 2008-03-13, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

> Am 12.03.2008 um 17:42 schrieb Tyler Smith:
>
>> There's a fair bit of overlap in the last three. Any tips on how to
>> manage a combination of hand-rolled and debian-installed info files
>> would be most appreciated.
>
> The environment variable INFOPATH tells GNU Emacs where to look for
> info files.
>
> If you want, you can edit the dir files and remove entries. The
> utility install-info is used to maintain the dir file.

Thanks Peter!

INFOPATH doesn't seem to be defined on my system though. And I don't
understand why Debian would install the info file for, for example,
sbcl, in both /usr/local/info/dir and /usr/share/info/dir. I can fix
that myself, of course, but is there something I can do so that I
won't have to manually tweak the dir files everytime I install
documentation from the repositories?

Cheers,

Tyler