Re: Insert appropriate line-end character (like ';' for C*)

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Insert appropriate line-end character (like ';' for C*)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 15:03:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 11, 8:09 pm, Josh <j...@dydxtech.com> wrote:

> I know that emacs can't possibly know what my intention is, but it
> _can_ know what the appropriate end-of-statement character is for the
> current context.

Sure, theoretically it can, but it doesn't. In c-mode and other
derived modes, you'd set c-electric-flag to get the sort of behaviour
you describe (bound to semi-colons, commas etc, rather than C-S-RET),
but it is down to each mode to provide such a feature unless someone
writes such a generic feature and encourages major mode authors to
support it.