Re: mimick vim's :set paste

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: mimick vim's :set paste
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 07:24:20 +0300

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 23:44:09 +0200, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thr4wn wrote:
>> I'm trying to paste text, but with every newline, emacs indents first,
>> then inserts whitespace anyway. Is there any way to temporarily turn
>> off indentation like vim's :set paste? or a specific way to repress
>> auto indentation for just the pasting?
>
> I have never seen the behavior you tell us about. I guess you have to
> tell a lot more about the major mode you are using etc

It's major-mode independent.  When `set paste' is on, vim turns off
automatic indentation and filling.  It is then possible to paste long
lines and lines of pre-formatted text without triggerring any sort of
`reformatting' of the text according to the current major mode.

Having said that, I've used `M-x text-mode / paste some text / M-x
old-mode' some times to do something similar.  I've also used `M-x
picture-mode / paste / C-c C-c' too.