Re: How to whip Emacs into weird indentation rules with tabs+spaces?

From: Juanma
Subject: Re: How to whip Emacs into weird indentation rules with tabs+spaces?
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 20:18:40 +0200

On Friday, 18 July 2008 6:51:12 pm Alan wrote:
>  M-: (add-hook 'c-special-indent-hook 'ms-space-for-alignment nil t)

I added that sexp to .emacs and I eveluated it. Then, on failing, I removed
the 4th argument to force the value globally. Nothing changed. The function
is not being called.

I checked the documentation of c-special-indent-hook:
c-special-indent-hook is a variable defined in `cc-vars.el'.
Its value is
(ms-space-for-alignment)
[...] It is only called if `c-syntactic-indentation' is non-nil.

So let's see that variable:
c-syntactic-indentation is a variable defined in `cc-vars.el'.
Its value is t

I instrumented ms-space-for-alignment for Edebug, but it's not being called
at all, either when I press TAB or when I type C-j, or during region
reformatting, or anything. Can anyone figure why?

Best regards,
--
Juan

"Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like
 having a peeing section in a swimming pool."
       -- Edward Burr