Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Livin Stephen Sharma
Subject: Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 16:51:28 +0530

2008/9/13 Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com>
Hello,

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 10:08 AM, Livin Stephen <livin.stephen@gmail.com> wrote:

> YMMV, but I had to "export TERM=xterm"...

hmm I'm probably missing something here but why exporting TERM=xterm
would change anything since it is already if you're using a window
manager.

> - i.e. to be usable for everyday use...

ah ok you're using a Mac, so that explains probably why you need to export TERM

Actually, without exporting TERM, I saw emacs' term to show it to be "eterm-color":
 the need to export it was to get it to be "xterm" instead.

>  (previous value in...

yes and that should be again the case. Let see:

 $ TERM=xterm emacs
 < M-x term>
 $ echo $TERM
 eterm-color

I don't understand how you did that.

I set TERM=xterm ***in my /home/<user>/.bashrc***
 (**not** on the command-line prior to invoking emacs).

 My only guess is that When "M-x term" starts up a shell (/bin/bash for me) it would 'load' the .bashrc file from my home directory. Maybe that way you'd wouldn't get "eterm-color" within M-x term. Worth a shot ?

> After this change my man-pages, etc don't look like their full of odd
> characters (especiallly when trying to print single-quotes), nor is
> man-page text underlined randomly .

did you try to start mutt for example ?

No, I don't use mutt, so I can't comment on that :) .

> This TERM change definitely took care of at least issues 3/, and 5/
> which you mention
>  - I have both "C-r" history-search and "TAB"-completion of shell-vars
> AND file-names working.

I don't think so, I'm talking about expansion, not completion for issue 5)

Yes, I misunderstood that.

-- LSS

Thanks
--