help with ubuntu upgrade

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: help with ubuntu upgrade
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 19:36:39 +0530

Sorry if this is OT -- but the last time with almost the identical problem I got no help from the ubuntu forums but got the pointers to my problem (help-gnu-emacs) so I am asking here.

I tried to upgrade my dapper installation to hardy and the installation is now broken -- X shows only boxes not characters.

The problem shows up in xfonts-scalable but it seems to be in xfonts-utils or xfonts-base

Last time it was only an emacs problem and it was solved by modifying the font paths in xorg.conf (I got that help on this list) but now thats not helping.

Any clues/tips?

And sorry again if too OT :-)