Sorting buffers with ibuffer

From: z0d
Subject: Sorting buffers with ibuffer
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:07:56 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

I'm trying to sort my buffers by major-mode with ibuffer, but it seems
like it doesn't work.

I started Emacs with '-q' and then evaluated the following two lines:

(require 'ibuffer)
(setq-default ibuffer-default-sorting-mode 'major-mode)

When I do M-x ibuffer my buffers are sort by 'recency' (the default),
but the mode-line tells me 'Ibuffer by major-mode'. When I evalute
ibuffer-default-sorting-mode it's 'major-mode' as it should be. If I
cycle the sorting mode with ',' the sorting works fine thereafter. Am
I missing something?

By the way, what's the difference between 'major-mode' and 'mode-
name'? 'mode-name' isn't mentioned in the documentation, but if I
cycle through sorting modes with ',' I see it on the mode-line.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Peter.