Re: Emacs cvs (23) uses too much CPU with compilation mode

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: Emacs cvs (23) uses too much CPU with compilation mode
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 11:07:25 +0200

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 6:28 PM, Felipe Magno de Almeida
> <felipe.m.almeida@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I can see emacs uses 80% of CPU of a 600Mhz Celeron for about 2
>> minutes after it gets the compiler error output.
>> The compiler only runs for less than 15 seconds.
>> It happens only when the error message is a bit big. ( > 50Kb).
>> It is instantaneous with emacs-22.3. I don't have to wait at all.
>> I'm using multi-tty, but I can reproduce it without server-start. I
>> also use CEDET, but
>> the behavior is the same without it.
>> Sometimes the error message is *much bigger*. And that makes it
>> unbearable to wait.

Here's a guess:  The compilation buffer gets fontified.

Either fontification (and setting error markers) takes longer in Emacs
23, or just the progress messages for fontification (because drawing
antialiased fonts is slower).

Test by disabling `font-lock-mode', or setting `font-lock-verbose' to nil.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher