Re: Emacs 23.1 flushes stdin on startup

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.1 flushes stdin on startup
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 00:20:22 -0600

Johan Bockgård wrote:
"David F. Skoll" <dfs@roaringpenguin.com> writes:

I've noticed a behavior change in 23.1 that doesn't seem to be documented:
If I start Emacs in text mode (eg: "emacs -nw") and type stuff before
Emacs has started up, the stuff I type is lost.  Version 22 would not
flush the input, and my pre-startup stuff would appear in the buffer.

It's caused by the xterm init code (info "(elisp) Terminal-Specific")
for finding out if the terminal is modern enough to support the
`modifyOtherKeys' feature; see term/xterm.el.

      [...]
      ;; Pending input can be mistakenly returned by the calls to
      ;; read-event below.  Discard it.
      (discard-input)
      ;; Try to find out the type of terminal by sending a "Secondary
      ;; Device Attributes (DA)" query.
      (send-string-to-terminal "\e[>0c")

I really miss the old behavior.  Is there any way to convince Emacs 23.1
not to flush stdin on startup?

There's no simple knob, unfortunately, but there's always some way.

Too bad discard-input doesn't return the discarded events, so that they
could be re-read via unread-command-events.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA