Re: slime and lisp buffer encoding

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: slime and lisp buffer encoding
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 15:10:12 +0200

Eric <girzel@gmail.com> writes:

> On Aug 7, 5:52 pm, Eric Abrahamsen <gir...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Emacs and slime to do a bit of hunchentoot (lisp web server)
>> development, and I'm running into an encoding problem. I don't know
>> which of the links in the chain is causing the problem, so I hope
>> someone here will see what's going...
>>
>> Basically, using hunchentoot (with cl-who for html templating)
>> involves writing the html templates directly into the source code, and
>> I'm discovering that I can't type utf-8 text into these source files.
>> Compiling a defun with unicode in it results in an encoding error (I
>> believe thrown by slime as the defun gets sent to the repl).
>>
>> I have set everything I can set (file, keyboard, subprocess IO) to
>> utf-8-unix. The weird thing is, I can type a Latin accented a (à) into
>> the source without trouble. Hunchentoot seems to use a CONTENT-TYPE of
>> iso-8859-1 by default, in which case the à shows up fine in the
>> browser. If I set content type to utf-8, my browser garbles the à. So
>> my lisp strings must be encoded as iso-8859-1, but how did they get
>> that way? And how do I make them utf-8?
>
> I'll answer my own question: They got that way because iso-8859-1 is
> the default string encoding for OpenMCL. Altering inferior-lisp-
> program to add the option "-K utf-8" after the executable results in a
> lisp that runs in utf-8 by default. Apologies for the noise.

Moreover, you have to set things up in hunchetoot to send utf-8 data.
Some browser may accept a page declared as iso-8859-1 that actually
contain utf-8 data because it's an error often made, but you will want
to send headers and meta tags matching your data.

* I put on the first line of all my lisp sources:

      ;;;; -*- mode:lisp;coding:utf-8 -*-

  (you may configure emacs to do that my default, but I like it that
  the encoding be "documented" this way in the files).

* I confnigure hunchentoot to use utf-8 by default:

      (defparameter *utf-8*
           (flex:make-external-format :utf-8 :eol-style :lf)
           "The UTF-8 encoding.")
      (setf hunchentoot:*HUNCHENTOOT-DEFAULT-EXTERNAL-FORMAT*  *utf-8*
            hunchentoot:*DEFAULT-CONTENT-TYPE* "text/html; charset=UTF-8")

* In addition in all the pages I build, I put in the <head> section a

  tag.

You can check that everything is ok with Firefox "Page Info" menu item
(I don't remember in what menu).

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__