Re: not sure of how to enter accented characters in emacs23 using spanis

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: not sure of how to enter accented characters in emacs23 using spanish keyboard
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 22:38:25 +0200

I recently switched to emacs23 and I think it's great. I have had
problems however with my Spanish keyboard. Every time I need an
accented character (รก), I get the character in the minibuffer, but not in the text area. I have tried switching to spanish-* encodings but no luck. Does any of you know what I'm doing wrong? BTW, my Emacs22, same
apparent configs, behaves as expected.

It's better you try to make your tests by launching GNU Emacs with -q or -Q. A lot of GNU Emacs 22 customisation deals with making it work with non-US-ASCII encodings. This has changed in GNU Emacs 23.

You can check what your keyboard emits by first pressing C-q and then the keyboard key. GNU Emacs seems to have problems with composing Latin characters. The dead keys you press make it report in echo area. This cures the problem:

        (load-library "iso-transl")

A good start is also to set an environment variable like LC_ALL (or LANG).

--
Greetings

  Pete

When Richard Stallman goes to the loo, he core dumps.