Re: More emacs instances

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: More emacs instances
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:27:54 +0200

Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> But then I discovered offlineimap. Now I run offlineimap every ten
>> minutes or so which stores imap email from gmail into local maildirs and
>> I connect gnus directly to them. Fast and efficient. And easily
>> "cloneable" on my laptops.
>
> I never used Imap; I grew up and my mail was on my machine, and there
> only, and I never found a reason to change this, so smtp/pop3 it is
> for me.

My email is on my machine too. Offlineimap puts it there in the same way
you get it using pop3. The difference is imap is infinitely superior. Of
course I still use smtp via msmtp to send via my gmail accounts.

> [Richard Riley in Message-ID: <i43d0f$ia8$1@dough.gmane.org>]
>>so, for example, in my (tmux hosted) "emacs -nw" that I keep my email
>>and erc open in, there is no emacs server started thus keeping it
>>separate from my normal "work" emacs..
> [and a link to an article with this]
> ,----[ http://edward.oconnor.cx/2010/08/standalone-gnus ]
> | Gnus is an awesome mail and news reader, but it can be a bit of a
> performance
> | bear, especially when using IMAP. Since Emacs is single-threaded,
> IMAP

Remember my Gnus is NOT using Imap. It uses maildir which in turn is
populated by offlineimap.

> | operations that take too long can disconnect you from IRC, Jabber, or any
> number
> | of other network services you also use from Emacs.
> `----
>
> But if offlineimap is 'Fast and efficient', you do not run special emacs
> instance for mail and irc because of speed issues, right?
> Is it just a habbit?
>
> Memnon

Its to keep it separate from my main emacs instance which frequently
needs restarting.

I used to use a single daemon but find it freezes that little too much -
not often but enough to make me want a separate email instance. Also I
like to keep my gnus/erc or irssi hidden away (detach tmux) so I dont
get too trigger happy ;)